The unique and hugely popular Lambeth Country Show is returning for its 42nd year on July 16 and 17.
This year’s show will bring the usual blend of traditional country fair attractions and vibrant South London culture – for free – over two days in Lambeth’s Brockwell Park.
More than 100,000 people are expected to join the party, with around 300 traders and exhibitors, 7 licensed bars, a great line up of live music and over 70 food stalls featuring cuisine from all over the world, including plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.
The event is widely regarded as the highlight in South London’s social calendar, not only providing a great weekend of entertainment but also working to improve the environment and celebrate the diversity of the local community.
Mayor of Lambeth, Cllr Saleha Jaffer, said: “The Country Show is a wonderful event and it just seems to get better and better every year.
“We have an incredibly energetic and fun loving population in this part of London and the Country Show is a perfect opportunity to show that off – welcoming people from all over the capital to Brockwell Park.”
The music line-up includes British jazz/funk/soul band Incognito, hip-hop band The Mouse Outfit, and electric swing duo The Correspondents on the Saturday, followed by a more reggae feel to Sunday with Little Roy, Johnny Clarke, Matic Horns, Chainska Brassika and Stylo G all performing on the main stage, with more artists to be announced soon.
Incognito’s Bluey said: “It’s a great pleasure to play at this event, especially as families and groups of friends of all ages will be able to attend for free. See you all in Brixton!”
The Village Green stage will present Oxjam Music Festival this year – with local music from Brixton on the Saturday and Clapham on the Sunday.
Entry will remain free in 2016, but the event relies on visitor donations on entry and at designated donation points across the site.
This year’s attractions include;
• Main Arena – including Horsemen of the Knight (2 shows – Horse Jousting and a Wild West Show), Ridgeside Falconry, Berkley Owls, Victor Pitts Sheepdog Display, Moto Stunt International and much more.
• The Farm Zone featuring Vauxhall City Farm – animals including donkeys, alpacas, goats and plenty of new arrivals to the farm such as baby Aspen, as well as animal face painting and the ever popular ‘Cuddle Corner’, giving you the chance to get up close and personal with small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, chicks and ducklings. There will also be sheep shearing shows, milking cattle demonstrations and our very own ‘Lambeth Best in Show 2016’ throughout the weekend.
• Discovery – hosted by various science organisations including the Royal Society of Biology and the Royal Society of Chemistry – learn about how our brains work, modern medicines, allergies and nutrition through a wide range of activities for all the family to join in.
• The Cycle Zone with local cycling clubs, bike mechanics, and the police on hand to add your bike to the National Cycle Database. There are also three separate secure cycle parks on site to allow people to arrive on bike.
• The Flower Zone in partnership with the Royal Horticultural Society – family-friendly floral workshops, a whole range of plants and cut flowers from specialist nurseries available to buy, informative talks from expert growers, advisors on hand to offer help on all things garden related
• Lambeth Country Show Farmers’ Market presented by It’s Your Local Market