Two Lambeth landmarks associated with philanthropist Sir Henry Tate have been given Grade II Listing in recognition of their special architectural or historic interest.
One is the bust of Sir Henry, near Brixton Tate Library and the other is Streatham Tate Library.
Sir Henry lived in Park Hill, Streatham where he built a gallery to house his art collection, opening it to the public on Sundays, before the establishment of his Tate Gallery (originally the National Gallery of British Art) in 1897.
Sir Henry Tate funded a number of arts and cultural institutions and also provided the Tate Institute in Silvertown, where his sugar refining business was based and where sugar cubes were first made in Britain.
Following Sir Henry’s death in 1899, his widow, Jane bought the space to the west of Brixton Library, now Brixton Oval, which she landscaped as Tate Gardens and gave to the people of Lambeth in 1905 as a memorial. The bust was erected by public subscription in that year; and placed at the centre of the gardens. The gardens have since been replaced by hard landscaping and the bust, with its pedestal, was moved to its present position some time before 1980.
Listing marks and celebrates a building’s special architectural and historic interest, and also brings it under the consideration of the planning system, so that it can be protected for future generations. Historic England administers the application process and provides expert advice to the Secretary of State who ultimately decides on listing.