Food and grease on the walls, floors and work surfaces of a Brixton take-away’s kitchen were discovered by Lambeth council during an inspection which revealed a serious risk to customers health. It was also found that food was not adequately refrigerated and there was a potential danger from cross contamination.
The grim discoveries were made at Spice Hut, an Indian restaurant in Brixton Station Road, Brixton and have resulted in the business owner Amjad S. Hussain of Southview Court, Clapham pleading guilty to a series of charges prior to appearing at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Friday, May 22.
Cllr Jane Edbrooke, Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods, said: “The place was filthy and the fact that one of the freezers used to store food on the premises had a door which had come away from its hinges and had dirty, broken seals should have obviously set alarms bells off to staff. It was clear that the kitchen had not been cleaned properly for far too long and was served by defective equipment. All of which suggested neglect by the business operator.
“Lambeth council works hard to support business and job creation in the borough. But when business people act irresponsibly in this way we will not hesitate to step in and protect the public. I’m glad that in this case the owner acknowledged his poor practise by pleading guilty in court and has pledged to clean up his act.”
Hussain pleaded guilty to a number of charges under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013, including operating an unregistered food business and failing to ensure that raw food was kept in such a way as to avoid contamination.
The bench gave Mr Hussain credit for his early guilty plea, but still fined him £6,000 as well as ordering him to pay a £75 victim surcharge and costs of £945, leaving him £7,020 to pay in total.
- Spice Hut was first inspected on 6 January, 2014. The Hygiene Improvement Notices and a schedule of work was left with an employee in the premise to improve conditions at the kitchen
- Food inspectors returned on 24 February, 2014 where they found that conditions had not improved
- Lambeth council officers will continue to monitor the premises to ensure food hygiene standards are maintained.