Lambeth Council has responded with concern to the Mayor of London’s Final Police and Crime Plan which was launched on Monday, March 25.
The restructure aims to cut the Met Police’s budget by £500million over the next three years, and will leave Lambeth with fewer officers than in 2010.
Cllr Lib Peck, Lambeth council leader, said: “Our borough has suffered the highest rate cut in police numbers in London between May 2010 and December 2012. Officer numbers are down 20 per cent.
“The Mayor of London’s plans do nothing to address that. We have consistently highlighted this issue, and are simply asking for a fair deal.”
Under the plan’s new local policing model, Safer Neighbourhood Teams will based on ward clusters, instead of individual wards. Each ward will have its own dedicated police constable, but now only one dedicated police community support officer. Previously Safer Neighbourhoods teams usually consist of one sergeant, two constables and three police community support officers.
The Police and Crime Plan also outlines how 63 of 136 front counters will close, with new contact points created instead.
Cllr Jack Hopkins, Cabinet member for Safer and Stronger Neighbourhoods, said: “The Mayor of London’s plans contain no commitment to continue successful Safer Neighbourhood Team policing which in Lambeth have got police out on the streets and improved relationships with local communities.
“We welcome the decision to keep Gipsy Hill Police Station open, but our biggest concern is that under these plans our borough will not be adequately policed.”
Lambeth Council is campaigning for 100 more police – for more information visit http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/CommunityLiving/CrimePrevention/100MorePoliceForLambeth.htm