An ambitious ten year plan to recreate Vauxhall as a lively riverside town centre that puts people before traffic is now being consulted on.
Council staff will be out and about talking to people about the draft Vauxhall Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) over the next few weeks. Upcoming events include:
- KOV Forum – Tuesday 16 October (from 6.30pm)
- Roadshow at Sainsbury’s Nine Elms – Wednesday 17 October (approx 11am to 3pm)
- Stall at Oval Farmers’ Market – Saturday 20 October (approx 10am to 2pm)
- Vauxhall Society AGM – Thursday 25 October from 7pm
- North Lambeth Housing Forum – Tuesday 30 October
- Roadshow at Royal Vauxhall Tavern – Wednesday 7 November
- Exhibition stand at Nine Elms Vauxhall Open Days – Thursday 15 and Friday 16 November
All information, including the draft document and supporting material, are available on the council’s website, which also outlines all the different ways people can get involved in the consultation – www.lambeth.gov.uk/vauxhallspd.
Local residents and businesses have been instrumental in developing the supplementary planning document for the area and more than 200 people attended open days in March to discuss the principles that will guide development in the area. The draft Vauxhall SPD paints a clear picture of Vauxhall in 10 years’ time as a lively riverside town centre with a proper high street. It promotes change and growth as an opportunity to tackle long standing issues, such as high unemployment, poor health and choice of homes.
“We want to breathe new life into the area by restoring a proper high street with thriving shops and businesses, dominated by people not traffic. We have a once in a generation opportunity to transform this often over-looked area of the city and to tackle long standing issues, such as unemployment, poverty and inequality.” Cllr Lib Peck, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Strategic Housing.
The consultation on the draft document will officially commence on Wednesday 17 October and run till 5pm on Monday 26 November 2012.