Visitors to Brixton Windmill can come along and meet Paul Sellwood, the windmill’s millwright. He will be on site throughout the afternoon demonstrating how the miller would have once turned the cap and set the sails. And if it’s a windy enough day, the sails will turn. Time 1pm-4pm Saturday 12th May 2012.
Brixton Windmill is a Grade II* listed building, near Blenheim Gardens, and is the only surviving windmill in inner London. Built in 1816, it was owned by milling family, the Ashbys of Brixton Hill until Joshua Ashby died in 1935. The electric-powered millstone ceased production in 1934. The London County Council purchased the land and the windmill in 1957.
Residents’ action group, the Friends of Windmill Gardens was established in 2003 with the aim of restoring the Windmill and transforming the surrounding park into an area that will be valued by all the community.
The Friends and Lambeth Council secured a grant of £397,700 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to help restore the windmill. The council also contributed £55,130 as well as ongoing maintenance of the mill, and the Friends raised £2,000 along with non-contributions valued at £126,392. Work on the restoration began in October 2010.
The windmill is situated in a small park, Windmill Gardens, at the west end of Blenheim Gardens, off Brixton Hill, London SW2.
Tours of the windmill are run regularly throughout spring and summer. Visit www.brixtonwindmill.org for more information and to book.