Look through the keyhole at home swap

Residents will look through the keyhole to one another’s properties at a Lambeth Council ‘Home Swap’ taking place this week.

Tenants can take a glimpse at properties from across the country and potentially upgrade or downsize properties to suit their needs. The Homes Swap event will be held from 10am to 2pm at the Assembly Hall, Town Hall on Thursday, April 12.

The drop-in session has been tailored for residents in under-occupied and overcrowded properties. HouseExchange computer desks will be available for  tenants to register and match with potential home swap suitors. The event will coincide with the official launch of the council’s free HouseExchange website.

Lambeth Council Divisional Director for Housing, Rachel Sharpe, said:

“Whether you have a flat, house, or bungalow, our new council HouseExchange website will cover all properties and we hope that residents will use this new and free service which could mean more residents living in homes which better suit their needs.

“This is what being a cooperative council all is about – we are enabling residents to take more control over their housing needs.”

You can swap your home not just in Lambeth but with another council or housing association tenant – anywhere in the country providing your landlord agrees. This is known as a ‘mutual exchange’. Both partners in the exchange will need to obtain permission from their respective landlords for the exchange to ahead. Mutual exchange provides a broader range of choices regarding the size, type, and location of your home. It gives you the opportunity to find a home that is suitable for the needs of you and your family.

Our HouseExchange website is extremely easy to use and you can search through all kinds of mutual exchange adverts, list your HouseExchange adverts and much more. To use our website you will need to register. Registration is quick and easy. By registering you will be able to contact other tenants looking for an exchange.

To view the Lambeth HouseExchange website visit


Notes for editors

Who is eligible for mutual exchange?

Anyone living in council or housing association accommodation can exchange their home subject to approval from both landlords.

Who does not qualify for mutual exchange?

Tenants of private landlords, homeowners and people living in shared ownership properties.

How do I arrange a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange can be arranged independently. There is no formal application process if you do it this way.  Both applicants’ landlords will however need to give their approval. You should contact your landlord directly for more information.



Comments are closed.


Join 189 other followers

%d bloggers like this: