>
news
Education and learning

Cash for schools

Three of Lambeth’s schools have been handed good news as the Government has agreed to fund extensive refurbishments.

The plans for Dunraven, Norwood and Lilian Baylis schools had been up in the air following the Government’s decision to cut funding for Building Schools for the Future programme.

A dozen schools in the borough were hoping to receive cash from the programme to help renovate them. However following the general election in May the Government suspended the programme as part of a widespread review on spending. Eight schools were told they would not be getting any money, but four others were told the decision was under review.

Now Education Secretary Michael Gove has given three of them the news they were waiting for, announcing on Friday that funding will be made available for the projects. A decision on funding for a new school at Fenstanton is still to be made and an announcement is expected after the Government spending review is completed in October. Council staff will now work with the Government to see exactly what the latest announcement means for the three schools.

Councillor Peter Robbins, Lambeth’s cabinet member for children and young people, said: “This is obviously good news for the three schools and we remain hopeful that funding for Fenstanton can also be found. We will continue to lobby the government for more funds to ensure all our schools are modern and well equipped so that we can provide the best futures possible for Lambeth’s young people.”

Advertisements

Discussion

Comments are closed.

Archives

Join 189 other followers

%d bloggers like this: